Days
Hours
Mins
Secs

ADVERTISEMENT

Joachim Andersen reports receiving messages of abuse after Nunez red

Joachim Andersen

Following Darwin Nunez’s red card on Monday night, Joachim Andersen has reported 300–400 abusive messages to the police, including threats of death.

Nunez was dismissed from the match in the 57th minute after he headbutted Andersen, knocking the Danish player to the ground out of fury, as Crystal Palace held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

Nunez was dismissed from the match in the 57th minute after he headbutted Andersen, knocking the Danish player to the ground out of fury, as Crystal Palace held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw at Anfield.

Since the game, Joachim Andersen has acknowledged to the media that he has alerted the police to hundreds of nasty messages he got on Instagram. He has also begged with the social media company to take action.

“Got maybe 3-400 of these messages last night,” he said.

“I understand you support a team but have some respect and stop act tough online.

“Hope Instagram and the Premier League do something about this,” he added.

On his social media, Andersen detailed some of the hate he had experienced, including death threats.

Andersen has spoken with Crystal Palace and is said to be feeling fine but decided “enough was enough” and wants to speak out about the harassment.

A spokesperson for Meta, the owners of Instagram and Facebook, said: “We have strict rules against bullying and harassment and we are in direct contact with Joachim’s team on the issue.

“Because direct messages are private spaces, we don’t proactively look for hate speech or bullying in the same way we do in other places, and we need someone to report the message in app before we can take action.

“No one thing will fix this challenge overnight, but we’re continuing our work with the industry and Government to help keep our community safe from abuse.”

While a 2021 PFA research indicated 44% of Premier League players got abuse online, it was announced in June that anyone convicted of football-related internet hate crimes can now receive banning orders, which would prevent them from attending matches.

The Premier League reported in March that over 400 investigations concerning abuse of its players, coaches, match officials, and their families over the previous year had been initiated.

Share this post:

ADVERTISEMENT

Scroll to Top