The 23-year-old had been widely expected to join the Spanish heavyweights ahead of the 2022–2023 season, but in May he agreed to an extension of his PSG contract worth £650,000 per week, keeping him with the team until 2025.
At the time, Mbappe’s decision to remain in Paris infuriated both Real Madrid and LaLiga, and Tebas has since continued to criticize the French star for doing so.
The 60-year-old was questioned about the absence of big-name players like Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Kylian Mbappe during a presentation on this season’s La Liga Squad Spending Limits.
‘If we look at the clubs where they are, we see that these are clubs that are pouring money’. Tebas said.
‘Of course, we would have liked them to come, but they weren’t there last year either.
‘Mbappe stayed in a championship that is not competitive.’
After the deal fell through, Real Madrid President Florentino Perez said ‘Real Madrid will always continue to work on having the best players, but today Mbappé is already forgotten.’
Mbappe has started the new season strongly with nine goals in his first six games for PSG this season.
The forward scored twice against Juventus on Tuesday night to open his Champions League account after scoring five goals in Ligue 1 so far this season.
Real Madrid, who have gone unbeaten in their first four La Liga games and defeated Celtic in their Champions League opener this week, have demonstrated that there is no immediate loss in not signing Mbappe.