ADVERTISEMENT

Everton face 12-point deduction as Premier League demands FFP punishment

Everton are facing a 12-point deduction as the Premier League recommends a severe punishment for the club’s failure to stick to Financial Fair Play rules.

Everton has been accused of violating Premier League profit and sustainability regulations after incurring huge financial deficits. According to the Telegraph, the Premier League is recommending that Everton face a 12-point deduction in its case against them for violating profit and sustainability FFP regulations.

The English Club is set to face significant punishment if they lose their case after allegedly violating Premier League finance standards, with a verdict expected later this year.

It is believed the Premier League has recommended an extraordinarily severe penalty of up to 12 points and given the team’s recent relegation struggles and fragile present position of 16th, three points from the relegation zone, such a sentence would put them in grave danger of relegation.

Everton’s case is currently being considered by an independent commission after they recorded financial losses of £304 million over a three-year period, which is significantly more than the Premier League’s allowable sum of £105 million.

Though the committee will make the final decision, the Premier League is requesting a points deduction as punishment if Everton is found guilty.

The club has insisted that they have followed the laws and would “robustly defend” their stance, claiming that exemptions, particularly those relating to the coronavirus epidemic, will clear them of any wrongdoing.

Everton might face a number of different penalties, including a fine and/or a transfer embargo, but the Premier League’s suggested punishment is thought to be severe. Any point deduction would be the first of its sort in England’s top flight, and rival clubs are certain to panic.

In February, Premier League champions Manchester City were charged with breaching 115 regulations spanning from the 2009/10 season to last season. However, there haven’t been any reports of new developments concerning these charges.

Everton’s financial problems stem from a period of overspending under owner Farhad Moshiri, with the club reporting losses of £44.7 million in 2022, £121.3 million in 2021, £139.9 million in 2020, £111.8 million in 2019 and £13.1 million in 2018.

The alleged breach was first announced in March by the Premier League, and has been their only public statement on the case so far.

Their statement said: “The proceedings before the commission will, in accordance with Premier League Rule W.82, be confidential and heard in private.”

“Under Premier League Rule W.82.2, the Commission’s final award will be published on the Premier League’s website. The League will be making no further comment until that time.”

Everton are also locked in takeover talks with Miami-based investment company 777 Partners, after owner, Moshiri decided to sell his 94% holding last month.

Just last week the company issued a statement insisting the deal had not run into problems after a report from The New York Times said that they had neglected to furnish the Financial Conduct Authority with the required audited financial statements.

That takeover is presently being confirmed by the Premier League, Football Association, and Financial Conduct Authority, and it may not be completed until early next year, depending on the outcome of the case.

Everton are currently 16th in the Premier League following two wins in their first nine games, and they go to West Ham on Sunday.

Share this post:

ADVERTISEMENT

Scroll to Top
× How can I help you?