ADVERTISEMENT

Man Utd confirm Antony’s availability and return to training after police probe

Manchester United have confirmed that Antony is available for selection after a police probe.

Manchester United winger Antony will return to training and is available for selection as the club confirms via a statement.

The Brazil international is under investigation by Greater Manchester Police and authorities in his home country over allegations of domestic abuse and physical aggression made by a former girlfriend.

Back in June, rumours were spread of an alleged physical assault meted against a Gabriela Cavalin – Antony’s former partner – which the player denied up until an additional assault claim by two other women, Rayssa de Freitas and Ingrid Lana.

Cavalin claimed the alleged incident resulted in a cut to her head and a breast implant being damaged.

In an interview with Brazilian website UOL, who gained access to photos, videos and conversations surrounding the allegations, Cavallin also alleged that she suffered a cut finger while attempting to protect herself, alleging that Antony threw a glass cup at her on May 8. (SPORTBIBLE)

She also alleged that the United winger threatened to attack her while she was pregnant on holiday and that she was subjected to a series of attacks by Antony between June last year and May this year.

Cavallin filed a report with Sao Paulo Civil Police in June, accusing Antony of ‘domestic violence, threat and bodily injury’, and a separate complaint with Greater Manchester Police.

This provoked widespread controversy in the football space, acknowledging the impact of the Greenwood-Harriet saga, Manchester United were forced to give a statement.

“Since allegations were first made in June, Antony has co-operated with police inquiries in both Brazil and the UK, and he continues to do so,” the club said via their website.

“As Antony’s employer, Manchester United has decided that he will resume training at Carrington, and be available for selection, while police inquiries proceed. This will be kept under review pending further developments in the case.”

“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognise the importance of safeguarding all those involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse” the statement read.

Antony has since released a statement on Instagram insisting his innocence. He said he “trusts ongoing police investigations” to reveal the “truth about my innocence”.

“I can say with confidence that accusations are false and that the evidence already produced show that I am innocent of the accusations made,” Antony said.

“My relationship with Ms Gabriela was tumultuous, with verbal offences from both sides, but I never practised any physical aggression. I trust that the ongoing police investigations will demonstrate the truth about my innocence.”

The 23-year-old might make an appearance on Saturday, when United play Palace after defeating the Eagles 3-0 in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday. Since the 3-1 loss to Arsenal on September 3, the Brazil international has not played for the Red Devils.

Share this post:

ADVERTISEMENT

Scroll to Top
× How can I help you?